Who We Are: Anglicans for Life is the only global Anglican ministry dedicated to inspiring the Anglican Church to understand and compassionately apply God’s Word when addressing abortion, abstinence, adoption, euthanasia, and embryonic stem cell research.
What We Do: Anglicans for Life encourages, equips, and empowers the Anglican Church to fulfill Scripture’s mandate to protect the vulnerable, defend the fatherless and plead for the widow. How do we do that?
1. PASTORAL RESPONSE: In a world of profound confusion concerning life issues, we offer our expertise to ordained and lay leaders in their pastoral response to people facing difficult life decisions at all stages of life.
2. DISCERN CALL: Because God calls people specifically to this work, we help people discern and live out their call to life ministry in roles such as Prayer Team Members, Volunteers, Life Liaisons, Life Coordinators and Chapter Leaders at the local church level
3. PUBLISH RESOURCES: Finding biblically based Anglican life resources is challenging, therefore Anglicans for Life publishes user-friendly, effective resources for ministry and outreach.
4. GOSPEL OF LIFE: In a world where abortion is promoted as an exercise of a ‘right’ and consequence-free choice, we co-sponsor the Silent No More Awareness Campaign, a movement raising awareness through personal testimony of the devastating impact abortion has on women, men and society and the need for Christ-centered healing.
5. CHURCH WITNESS: Life ministry is often misunderstood and considered optional in the Church where many suffer silently under guilt: we make it plain that life issues are Gospel issues, and that, in Jesus Christ, God’s promises of forgiveness, hope, provision, and healing are available for all.
6. NETWORK HELP: Because those in need often do not know of others who can help, we provide networking expertise in connecting needs with life resources.
7. KINGDOM-MINDED: Recognizing the constantly changing political atmosphere, Anglicans for Life does not affiliate or endorse any party or candidate nor do we receive funding from any national church body. AFL seeks to cultivate relationships with individuals and local churches that want to invest in Kingdom-minded ministry.
Why We Do It:
AFL envisions an Anglican Communion that actively seeks justice, loves mercy, and walks humbly with God, consistently proclaiming the Gospel of Life as the foundation for fulfilling the Great Commission.
History and Overview of Anglicans for Life’s ministry:
In 1966, the Rt. Rev. Joseph Harte held the first meeting of Episcopalians for Life because of his concern for the sanctity of life and the practice of abortion. By the time abortion was legalized, Chapters of Episcopalians for Life were working in churches nationwide to stand against the growing acceptance of abortion.
On December 4th, 1983, Anglicans for Life was officially incorporated as the “National Organization of Episcopalians for Life Research and Education Foundation” (N.O.E.L) from 1983 to 1996, NOEL operated from Fairfax, Virginia. Bishop John Howe, (Central Florida) then Rector of Truro Church along with Board Members, Chapter leaders, and Volunteers, built the ministry into a nationwide organization, educating Episcopalians about the abortion and seeking to influence the church by introducing pro-life resolutions at General Conventions.
1996 was a year of change for Anglicans for Life; the board elected the Rev. Geoffrey W. Chapman as President and the headquarters moved from Virginia to Sewickley, Pennsylvania. In 1998, the board appointed Georgette Forney as the Executive Director.
Anglicans for Life uses the Chapter model to support life ministry in parishes. Currently, there are 79 Life Coordinators/Chapters in 24 states as well as 3 in Uganda and Kenya. The Anglicans for Life Prayer Team currently has over 275 members. Materials and resources developed by Anglicans for Life include a monthly news brief, brochures highlighting the effects of abortion on men and women, booklets on teen abstinence and women’s health, and a comprehensive website filled with helpful information.
In 2007, the board voted to change the organization’s official name to Anglicans for Life. The name change reflects Anglicans for Life’s broadening outreach to the wider Anglican Communion.
PRAYER FOR LIFE
Lord God, thank You for creating human life in Your image.
Thank You for my life and the lives of those I love.
Thank You for teaching us through Scripture the value You place on life.
Help me to uphold the sanctity of life in my church and community.
Give me the strength to stand up to those forces
that seek to destroy the lives of those most vulnerable,
the unborn, the infirm and the elderly.
Today I commit myself never to be silent, never to be passive, never to be forgetful of respecting life.
I commit myself to protecting and defending the sacredness of life
according to Your will, through Christ our Lord. Amen.Anglicans for Life405 Frederick AvenueSewickley, PA 15143